As part of the Miami Design District’s ongoing cultural and entertainment programming, the neighborhood is proud to host yet another Family Day in partnership with the Institute of Contemporary Art, Miami (ICA).
The August edition of the MDD x ICA Family Day is free and open to the public, inviting families to participate in activities, crafts and story time which focus on teaching kids of all ages how to use found objects to create works of art. This event complements Miami Design District’s regular community programming, including the weekly farmer’s market, Market #atMDD.
MDD x ICA Family Day
Date: August 13, 2017
Time: 1 – 3 PM
Location: ICA Gallery (4040 NE 2nd Ave, Miami, FL 33137)
Once a month the Miami Design District hosts Family Day, a program that features hands-on activities and tasks for adults and children. Catering specifically to families, the program emphasizes art, culture and education — posing as the perfect place for Sunday fun-day location after brunch or a day of early shopping. Through interactive activities, August’s MDD x ICA Family Day will teach how found objects are used to create works of art while enjoying music by DJ Angel.
August Family Day activities include:
- Mixed Media Mural – Help create a unique world through a collaborative mural using different materials
- Found Objects Sculpture – Using found objects and materials, create your own unique sculpture
- Silhouette Collage – Learn about artist Chris Ofili work by creating your own silhouette collage portrait using found objects
- Story Time – Learn about contemporary art through creative storytelling
- DIY Baldessari – Recreate iconic images by John Baldessari in a fun, interactive photo session
Those participating in August’s MDD x ICA Family Day will receive a 10% discount at Genius Jones when they bring in “Back-to-School” items for donation.
The Market at #atMDD
Date: Every Wednesday
Time: 4 – 9 PM
Location: Miami Design District, Jungle Plaza (140 NE 39th Street, Miami, FL 33137)
Every Wednesday from 4 – 9 p.m., guests can peruse goods from over 40 local purveyors, including fresh produce, fruits and juices, local honey, baked goods, freshly fired brick oven pizza, plants and flowers as well as handmade jewelry and beauty products.
While shopping, guests can take in the public art currently occupying Jungle Plaza, including the Flotsam & Jetsam installation by SHoP Architects and Jungle Mural by 2 X 4.